12 October 2009

Gay is not a synonym for stupid.

Seriously

It's been pissing me off quite a lot lately.

Or am I just being hypersensitive?

Well, if people think I am, then I don't really care, it still pisses me off.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are being a bit hypersensitive. My friends use it all the time - some who are straight, some who are bi, some who are gay. Nobody really cares. We all know what we mean when we use the word, and it can actually be fun to argue over what we mean: gay as stupid, or gay as gay, gay ass (meaning extreme), etc. I dunno, I guess you have to be there...

Jeremy said...

The only thing I'm going to say is that I respect your opinion.

MartininBroda said...

The wiser commentators than me seem to be sleeping, so I have to say something I guess, don’t be angry please, whatever is taking you into this mood, it’s not worth your attention, be confident, be you.
With love Martin

Joey said...

Jeremy,

I will agree with you. I despise the phrase "That's so gay." It is derogatory.

Honestly, we don't go around saying "That's so black" or "That's so band geek." To those who say it, it may not mean anything. However, it has meaning to someone else.

True, it may not offend everyone, but it is the principle behind it all. It is ultimately offend some people. And even if it is one person then it is too much.

Something for you to check out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/

Later,
- JC

Aek said...

I agree with your sentiment. I don't get pissed off, just annoyed.

I have a friend who's sister gets pissed off when people say "That's retarded" because she has worked with mentally retarded children before.

What I usually say now is just, "That's just ridiculous." :-P

Pilgrim said...

In the Merriam-Webster(print version) gay means originally funny, good mooded, also dumbfounded, but still in good spirits. Only in the 1950s it became synonymous to homosexual. So, there is nothing wrong about saying that s/thing is so gay. As for me being french speaking, of course we can´t say c´est pédé, you might get what I mean. Propz Pilgrim

Dave83201 said...

Yeah... I think you're right. Even small words can hurt.